Monday, September 07, 2009

Julia Stats: 2 Years

Height: 38 1/2 in (completely off the charts, even a bit high for her own growth chart)
Weight: 28 lbs 1/2 oz (~70%)
Head Circumference: 19 1/2 in (~90%)

Julia's height measurement was even higher than I've come to expect, so I asked the nurse to measure her a second time. Yep, it was 38 1/2 inches!

Today's appointment was tough. I was mentally prepared that Julia would be getting one shot - the flu vaccine. The doctor checked J's chart and said that she still needed to get the HIB vaccine. Next, the doctor informed me that she wanted to do a blood draw to test for anemia. (A blood draw?!.....on my sweet little girl?!...NOOOOOO!) Finally, relating to Julia's daycare, the doctor determined Julia needed a TB test.

She watched as the nurse gave her the 2 shots and the TB test. She didn't look happy, of course, but she did not cry. (!!!) I tried to remain calm for her sake, but it is excruciating to see someone poke needles in (and cause pain to) your baby. We had to go downstairs to the lab for the blood draw, and I had a fleeting desire to take Julia out the front door to go home. Instead, I was a grown-up and took the child downstairs for the blood draw.

After a discussion with the nurse about whether the finger stick or needle to arm would be less painful, we finally decided on the needle in arm option. It would be quicker, and the finger stick would require a great deal of finger squeezing to get the amount of blood needed. So, J sat in my lap, and she watched the needle go in. I tried so hard to get her to look at the technician's necklace, to look away! That tough little kid did not even cry.

3 comments:

pageikeda said...

Olive had the same blood draw done at 11 months. She cried a little and I held it together until we got to the car. I cried all the way home. So glad Julia is growing like a weed.

Champagne on Tuesdays said...

I am impressed with Julia's bravery!

Jennifer Mendelsohn said...

You can now boast to your friends that your two year old is exactly as tall as...my (barely on the chart) five year old. :-)