Sunday, April 25, 2010

Annabelle stats: 1 month

Weight: 9 lbs 6 oz (60th%)
Height: 22 1/2 in (90-95%)
Head Circumference: 14 1/2 in (50th%)

Annabelle's weight looks fine on paper, but the doctor was concerned about the gain in weight from her last appointment. It's not much off, but she wants to do a follow-up.

Looking back, I think the doctor may have mistaken the weight from her day 7 appointment (8lbs 11 oz) as the weight from her day 3 appointment. They are supposed to gain half an ounce per day at this stage. We're headed back in next week to make sure her weight gain is on track. Since I'm excusively breastfeeding this time, I'm very concerned that she's getting what she needs. (Julia was breastfed, but we also supplemented with formula.)

Annabelle is still jaundiced. I suspected as much, given that her skin isn't as lily white as the rest of us. Dr. Myers said that breastfed babies are often jaundiced up to 2 months and that in itself is not a big deal. They did run a test on her to check for a liver condition, as the condition must be treated by two months. It was just standard protocol when a baby is still jaundiced at one month.

Finally, Annabelle has a stawberry hemangioma on her back. Thankfully, I knew a little about hemangiomas to know that they are benign. The doctor said that it will likely grow in size for the first six months of her life, but it will start to decrease and eventually disappear.

I thought the needle portion of the appointment would be easier, as this is my second child, and I've been toughened up a bit. Nope. I was still traumatized when Annabelle had to get her shot (HIB immunization)- she wailed - and the heel stick for her bilirubin test. I had forgotten the worst part of the heel stick is not the stick itself; it is when the nurse squeezes the little heel to get the blood out.

I did manage to put on a brave face.

No comments: