Thursday, April 16, 2009

Hello, Poison Control

Yesterday evening, as I got ready for book club, I tried to keep one eye on Julia and one eye on the mirror as I combed my hair and applied make-up. She was opening R's drawers in the bathroom. She typically takes the items out one at a time and places them on the step to the tub. I looked away for approximately two seconds, and when I looked back - to my horror - she had taken the cap off of R's deodorant and was tasting it. (!!!)

Her inquisitive expression quickly turned to a grimace, and she made it very clear she wanted that stuff off of her tongue. I didn't think she had ingested any until I heard a bit of burbling and gurgling. I took her straight to the toilet, and she experienced an unfortunate milestone: her first vomit. Surprisingly, she and I were both pretty calm during the incident. I took her downstairs and called Poison Control. (They are so nice and helpful! I programmed the number into my phone.) The woman at Poison Control said she was in no danger, but it likely tasted REALLY BAD. I gave Julia some water and a little while later, her dinner. She went back to being her normal, happy self. Unfazed.

Her breath still smelled a little like Brut.

It's time to take the babyproofing to the next level.

3 comments:

Champagne on Tuesdays said...

Yuck - I'm sure it did taste bad! Good to know that it tastes bad, though. Tasting good would not be helpful.

My younger sister did something similar as a kid. Drank some bubble bath (Avon) and then announced to my mother that the bubble bath didn't taste good. Poison Control was less formed then, so off to the E/R they went, but like Julia she was fine.

kgiff said...

Sounds like you handled it much better than I would have. Glad Julia is fine.

Two Shorten the Road said...

Oh man. That must have been so scary. I'm so glad it turned out ok!