Sunday, December 06, 2009

Decorating the Tree

Decorating the tree with R and Julia was such fun! (Sometimes, I tend to romanticize how a family event is going to go and need to manage my expectations, but this evening was the storybook, Norman Rockwell event I imagined.)

Julia LOVED unwrapping each ornament from its tissue paper, and would exclaim, "Look! Look, Papa!!" or "Look, Mommy, look at this!!" She was old enough that she could handle the ornaments and put them on the tree. From time to time, she needed a bit of help, but she loved the whole experience. One of my favorite moments was when she called snowman ornament with a looong skinny hat a maraca.

R and I talked about the different ornaments, and where we were when I bought them - it was a little walk down memory lane of our relationship: ornaments from Chicago, the Empire State building representing New York, the bicycle representing Holland, and the snow men from my first Christmas with his family when they where vacationing in Colorado.

Christmas tree
Julia & Papa

Christmas tree
Busy decorating

Christmas tree
Papa

Christmas tree
Busy girl
Finishing touch
Placing the star on top

My favorite part of this video is when Julia stops at the lion ornament to roar!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Katy, I absolutely love this post. We are so lucky, aren't we?
xo,
Laura