Sunday, February 21, 2010

Big Girl Bed

We've been talking up the idea of a "big girl bed" to Julia for a few months now. Whenever I see a character in a book or on TV who is sleeping in a bed instead of a crib, I point it out to Julia, and say - "Oh, look....she is sleeping in a big girl bed. Would you like to sleep in a big girl bed?"

So, after talking it up, she was really on board with the idea. Finally, two weeks ago, her bed was delivered. She was so excited. The probem? No mattress. For the last two weeks, the bed and the crib have been side by side in her room. She liked to use the bed as a jungle gym - something that I did my best to stop. I was nervous she was going to hurt herself on the hard wood or between the slats.

Today, R went to Costco to buy the mattress. It was a very, very exciting day for Julia. She was beside herself and proclaimed her new mattress as "Bootiful!!" It was hard to keep her off the bed as I made it up with the new mattress cover, sheets, and quilt.

When it came time for bedtime, our usual rituals were changed. Since Julia was born, I have rocked Julia before bed while lullaby music plays. I always put her down while still awake, but we both enjoy ending our day with this ritual. When Julia got a little older, we dubbed this, "Tiny Baby." We also added reading bedtime stories.

Tonight was the first time we have not done Tiny Baby before bedtime (aside from the occasional trip where there is no rocking chair.) R came upstairs with us, put Julia in her pajamas and kissed her goodnight. Julia and I crawled in her new bed and read books. I think it was about 8 books. I had only planned for 3 or so, but she's a pretty good negotiator. Julia got up to turn off her light, as she likes to do, and we snuggled in her bed.

I was rather comfortable and started to doze off. I never expected what happened next - especially after her usual pleading for one more book or more Tiny Baby time. Julia said, "Mommy, wake up. Mommy, wake up. You can go downstairs with Papa now."

That's it. Equal parts amused and surprised that I had been kicked out, I headed downstairs to tell R the story. (I may have been a tiny bit dejected as well.)

A few minutes later, we heard little footsteps, and Julia appeared in the doorway of the family room. She had an odd look on her face, as if she was thinking, "So, this is what you guys do after I go to bed." Then, she announced, "I not going to bed." We answered, "Yes, you have to go to bed." R said, "Papa will put you to bed." With that, she said, "I do it myself." She turned and walked back to her room, by herself.

We listened on the monitor as she put herself to bed. R went to check on her a while later and found her asleep in her new bed, clutching one of her babies, lying way up on her pillow (but under the covers). Her bedroom door was closed and everything. Sleep tight, big girl!

Pictures of the new bed (and the girl) coming soon.

3 comments:

Two Shorten the Road said...

Awwww. What a sweet little big girl. :)

Champagne on Tuesdays said...

Oh my gosh, how sweet was that?! What a big girl she is now.

false said...

So cute Katy!